DiEM25's Validating Council is an independent jury-like group consisting of 100 members which votes on decisions that
- are too far-reaching to be left solely in the hands of the Coordinating Collective
- are not far-reaching enough for an All-Member Vote (AMV), or decisions with a tight deadline where organisation of an AMV is not feasible.
- are too sensitive for broad public discussion, such as complaints and disciplinary actions
Some more examples: the Validating Council decides on some matters of political direction, like political alliances for a small town's elections, because if we had to have an AMV every time a European city had elections, this might translate into thousands of votes each year. The VC also approves the initial appointment of Provisional National Collectives and the appointment of new members to our Advisory Panel. Finally, the VC is represented in the panel of interviewers for candidates for our internal positions, and if the panel rejects a candidate and that candidate appeals the decision, the full Validating Council will vote on the appeal.
The Validating Council is drawn at random (with gender balance of course) from among all active DiEMers who have indicated their readiness to serve. A term in the VC lasts 12 months, with staggered elections so that half of the Validating Council is renewed every half year.
- You are aware that you will need to decide on very tricky topics like the interpretation of our principles or the expulsion of members from the movement from time to time.
- You are not a member of any of the elected bodies of DiEM25 such as the National Collectives, the Electoral Wings or the Coordinating Collective.
- You have the necessary time to inform yourself about a topic and come to a decision in discussion with others.
- You promise to uphold DiEM25's manifesto. You condemn anti-immigrant, racist and homophobic positions. Your goal is to build a democratic EU, not to disband it.
- You promise to regularly read DiEM25's news and stay informed of what is going on in the movement.
- You are able to understand discussions in English. (The VC discussions will be in English)
- You normally check your email every day and are able to react quickly, also from a mobile device when traveling. (The purpose of the VC is to react faster than all-member votes could.)
- You are aware that being a member of the Validating Council is a volunteer position and not remunerated.
If you meet these requirements, please apply here.